Ah, that dreaded Christmas list. Never fear though, we're here again this year to help you with all your gift needs. We've got you covered for everyone from your Great Aunty Cath who loves a cuppa, to that musically inclined brother you can never find something for. This year, steer away from the norm and get more creative - no more polyester socks for Dad and don't even think about a bottle of cheap generic body wash for your workplace secret santa. Delve into our (affordable and ethical!) Christmas Gift Guide, supporting local and independent brands. You may even notice a few gift ideas from our previous City Slicker’s brands!
Give that chic friend of yours an instant classic piece this Christmas with a BYT tailored blazer - our Brand of The Month at Rug Lane. This black crepe blazer is tailored for a snug fit and with small shoulder pads and two-button fastening for a defined silhouette, it can be worn with a shirt for meetings - or simply without for an evening option.
2. The Slow Mode - Anxiety Set $312.05 HKD Sleep 2018’s troubles away with the Slow Mode anxiety set. Hand made with love apothecary and wellness products infused with certified, pure therapeutic grade essential oils and healing crystals. An all-natural sedative that soothes and relaxes the body and mind for a deep, lush sleep. 3. Tatami Tea $15 AUD for 50g or $22 AUD for 100g
Perfect for your tea loving aunt or even that secret santa gift for someone at work you don't know too well. Tatami's collection of organic and ethically sourced teas are so beautifully packaged and delicious it will be hard not to pick one up for yourself too. This month you can also use discount code RUGLANE15 for 15% off your online order - get in quick before they're sold out!
Pure Comedian Father John Misty has stepped into the realm of fortune telling with his 30 pack of specially designed tarot cards. Perfect for your musical friend or anxious brother in law.
5. Mischa - Leather Bucket Bag in Oak $2,691.48 HKD
This chic versatile bag has a spacious interior, drawstring closure and several pockets for easy access to your daily essentials. Made from 100% nappa leather, it's perfect for any woman. 6. Victoria Hong Kong -T3 Grey Tee $36 USD
100% Cotton - Hand Screen-Printed tee from the new Hong Kong based skate wear brand Victoria. They also do great hats and skate boards.
7. Basic For Basics - Angelina Dress $375 – $400 HKD
A simple body-con bandeau dress that’s flattering on all body types. The dress is lined and comes in black and white, with their eco- friendly signature blend or modal with a small slit detail on the front. 95% Organic Cotton, 5% Spandex.
8. Chowciaochow – Hand Painted Portrait A4 size Portraits cost around $480 HKD These beautiful portraits are created by one half of Mums Not Home, the quaint Yau Mei Tei Café and Shop. This deal is a holiday special only available during December. While you are in the shop have a look at all the other cute trinkets from other independent designers they have for sale. DM @Chowciaochow on Instagram for details.
9. Square Street - SQ31 Aluminum Watch $192.50 US.
A classy watch for a classy guy. This watch is for the new gentlemen who enjoys minimalist style and for those who are weighed down by heavy stainless-steel lumps hanging off their wrists.
10. Odd One Out Hong Kong - Letterpress Calendar - 2018 Year of the Dog $98.00 HKD
Design by Argi, Illustration by Janeni, there are 12 different designs for each month all based on the 2018 "8" as inspiration. While you are in Odd One Out Hong Kong chill out and have a coffee on their sweet terrace then check out the beautiful prints and cards they have on sale. F.Y.I … unfortunately the infamous shop dog Dim Sum no longer resides there.
11. The East – Earrings $70 USD
Silk thread hoop earrings handcrafted by artisans using a traditional Indian threading technique. Beautifully handmade earrings from The East founded by our City Slicker Bridget Barnett.
12. Store 132 – Shirt $350 HKD A fun and quirky Hong Kong brand selling unisex clothes via their Instagram. Also check out their Leon the Professional inspired beanies. DM for details @ store_132 or WhatsApp:97168756.
13. A Pair & A Spare - Sandals $119 USD
Made from the best quality leather and crafted with both a leather sole and upper, these sandals perfectly combine simplicity and comfort.
14. José Macedo – Photography Print
16. Studio Jolene shop - Card Holder with Terrazzo Print HK$295.00 Beautiful and handmade card holder by Jolene with only recycled plastic bags. Materials and print patterns are handcrafted from everyday plastic bags with lots of ironing, collaging and heat pressing in Hong Kong. All prints and colours are different from one and others. Each item is truly a unique piece of work.
17. Redress – Dress [with] Sense
18. Black Kite - Case of IPA $600 HKD Yup another find from our City Slicker #8 Dan Gallie's co-founded brand Black Kite. This ale is copper in colour, bursting with flavour, citrusy, fruity & slightly floral. A perfect gift for someone you don't know what to buy for! 19. Raven + Rose -The JAMIE Bralette $820 HKD
The JAMIE Bralette is a luxurious boudoir-babe piece from Raven + Rose. With a band that finishes mid-ribs, the JAMIE Bralette sits like a cropped top – modern but infused with a 90’s vibe. Check out Jasmine Smith's recent interview with us here.
20. Sonar – Early Bird Pass $780 HKD If last Sonar is anything to go by, this is a festival not to miss. Especially for those who love tech and house music, treat a special friend with an early bird pass before they sell out.
21. Dance Trinity Dance Lessons Why not give the gift of dance this Christmas? A good gift idea for the friend who has everything … minus the ability to dance. There are so many types to choose from we don’t even know where to begin so take a look for yourself.
22. Lion Rock Press – Hong Kong Skyline Candle $250 HKD For a Hong Kong lover, watch the iconic skyline come to life around their living room as the intricate etchings cast graphic shadows…Encased in a striking ‘rose gold’ red copper vessel, and hand-finished in Hong Kong by Lion Rock Press.
23. Paper Shades - Purple Jungle Small From $119 HKD These eco-friendly sunglasses from start-up brand Paper Shades give off jungle vibes and are ideal for festivals.
24. Art Jam - Art Jamming Session Another great experience gift idea is an art jamming session. Lots of different packages to choose from and something to bring home afterward.